“Bethesda Congregational Church” Monumental Transcriptions Vol 1, Central North Simcoe County;
Extracted, edited and indexed by Eldon D. Weber
Toronto, Ontario: Ontario Genealogical Society, 1977.
Rev. A. Raymond was sent to this area by a Congregational Church Mission in Boston to minister to the Negroes in 1838. He built a home and mission on Con 3 Lot 10. The building burned in 1845. By this time, the Negroes had a minister of their own and built a separate log church. In 1846, Raymond built another house and services were held in the kitchen. About 1856, he donated lands for a church and cemetery and a small frame building was put up. A brick church was erected in 1859, and rebricked in 1899. The church was closed in 1965. It is interesting to note, the oldest stone recorded was that of Margaret J. Downing who died 10 Feb 1836 which predates the cemetery by a few years.
Based on information from: The Story of Oro, Second Edition, The Township of Oro, 1987.