Town of Innisfil
2147 Innisfil Beach Road
Innisfil, Ontario, L9S 1A1
Bethesda Cemetery: Pt N1/2 L5 C3 Innisfil Twp, Simcoe Co, Ont;
Transcribed by Alan, Elizabeth & Robert Halfyard and Ross Wallace Barrie, Ontario: Simcoe County Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society, 1981
Early settlers in the Bethesda area first met for worship at the homes of William Lennox, Thomas Black, George Wonch, and William Ross. Later they used the log school house located on the farm of James Hindle. Accordingly, the congregation was known as Hindles and was served from Bradford at that time. In 1867, Thomas Black donated land for a Wesleyan Methodist church and cemetery. A frame structure was erected and opened the following year. The building was bricked in 1895. By 1925, at the time of Church Union, they belonged to the Cookstown circuit and became part of the United Church of Canada. In 1938, they became part of the Thornton circuit. The church was closed in 1950 and the building demolished in 1958. The last burial was in 1957. Some of the bodies and gravestones were removed to Alliston.
Based on information from: Historical Review June 23-24, 1951; A Record of 100 years of Progress. Innisfil Township Centennial 1850 – 1950,
by Township of Innisfil, 1951 Photo of Bethesda United Church, Innisfil Historical Society, 1940. May be viewed online through Innisfil Public Library