Christ Church Anglican (Ivy) / Christ Church – St. Jude’s Anglican
7330 Ninth Line, Essa Twp
650 m south of 20 th Sideroad, west side
Essa Con 8 Lot 19
Over 150 stones
Christ Church Cemetery 7290 County Road 56 RR#1, Utopia, Ontario, L0M 1T0 (705) 424-1963
History: The area was settled in the 1840’s. At first, the Anglicans (or Episcopalians) were ministered to by missionaries who travelled on horseback from Toronto and held services in some of the settlers’ homes or in neighbouring communities. In 1862, Christ Church was built just south of Ivy. It was remodelled in 1899 and windows from the original building were used in the chancel of the present church. St.Kevin’s, a sister church in Angus had to close and its parishioners joined Christ Church. In the mid 1980’s, St. Jude’s, Thornton, closed and their congregation also joined the church at Ivy. They brought the stained glass windows from the building in Thornton. The church was renamed Christ Church – St. Jude’s at that time.
Based on information from: Our History, Parish of North Essa, Diocese of Toronto, www.parishofnorthessa.ca Date stone on church.