Old Methodist Edgar United / Edgar United Church [Not the same as Edgar United Church AKA Bethesda Congregational]
Old Barrie Road West, Oro-Medonte
700 m east of Line 4 North, south side
Oro Con 5 Lot 11
Edgar (Methodist) United Cemetery Board Line 4 North, RR#1, Shanty Bay, Ontario L0L 2L0 (705) 728-9313
Edgar Old Methodist United Cemetery; Barrie, Ontario: Simcoe County Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society, 2006. Publications
“Edgar United Church Cemetery” Monumental Transcriptions Vol 1, Central North Simcoe County, Extracted, edited and indexed by Eldon D. Weber Toronto, Ontario: Ontario Genealogical Society, 1977 [This is not the same as Edgar United Church Cemetery AKA Bethesda Congregational].
History: The cemetery is located at the site of the First Methodist Church, east of the village of Edgar. The first plot was sold to William Lauder in 1889 however there are a few stones with dates as early as 1876. The church was sold for $10.00 and used to build a kitchen at the home of James Patterson Lot 8, Conc. 5. In 1898, a new Methodist Church was built north of Edgar on Lot 10, Conc. 4. In 1927, following the union of the Methodist and Congregational Churches, the building was sold for use as a community hall. In 1964, the hall was sold to John McLean who built a home on the lot.
Based on information from: The Story of Oro, Second Edition, The Township of Oro, 1987 Monumental Transcriptions Vol 1, Central North Simcoe County, Ontario Genealogical Society, 1977.