“Esson Church Cemetery”, Monumental Transcriptions Vol 1, Central North Simcoe County, Extracted, edited and indexed by Eldon D. Weber Toronto, Ontario: Ontario Genealogical Society, 1977
History: On October 30th, 1864, a congregational meeting was held in Knox Presbyterian Church to decide on sites for a new Church nearer to Rugby. On July 25th, 1865 the new Presbyterian Church was raised on the John Anderson farm (Lot 10 Con 11) and named after the distinguished Dr. Henry Esson, founder and first professor of Knox College, Toronto. This church was of frame construction. A new brick building was erected in 1915. Hydro was installed in 1948. Mr. Jim Seto of Orillia presented the congregation with electric light fixtures. In 1952 the sheds and stables were removed. Wood for fuel (cut from the Church Lot 9 Con 1) was stored in the basement until the oil furnace was installed in 1964. The wood lot was sold in 1976. New washroom facilities were added and the kitchen improved in 1983. The new entrance posts and cast iron gate were installed in the cemetery in 1985.
Based on information from: The Story of Oro, Second Edition, The Township of Oro, 1987.