“Knox Presbyterian (Old) & (New)” Monumental Transcriptions Vol 1, Central North Simcoe County;
Extracted, edited and indexed by Eldon D. Weber
Toronto, Ontario: Ontario Genealogical Society, 1977.
Early on, the Scottish Freeholders, many of whom were from Islay, set aside land for a “Glebe” to be used for a church site and cemetery. In 1842, a log school house was built nearby on the south east corner of Lot 12, Con 9 on the farm of Samuel Jermey. This school was opened in 1843 and the Presbyterians were given permission to hold services there until such time as they could build their own place of worship. Shortly after the disruption of the church in Scotland in 1843, the Hon. Isaac Buchanan of Hamilton, Ontario offered $200.00 to each of the first ten Presbyterian country churches to be built in Ontario. Construction started in 1844 with timber for the church coming from the Glebe and being squared right on site. Knox Church opened in June 1845 and much of the cost was covered by the endowment derived from this offer. Services were held in Gaelic until about 1900. The church was abandoned for many years but has now been restored and a memorial service held there every June. There are at least 8 stones in the cemetery that predate the church, one as early as 1826.
Based on information from: The Story of Oro, Second Edition, The Township of Oro, 1987.