670 m west of 5 th Line, north side
Note: The cemetery is located at the top of a hill beside the highway. There is a path leading up the hill. Use extreme caution if parking or walking beside the highway.
Essa Con 4 Lot 1
Township of Essa
5786 County Road 21
Utopia, Ontario, L9M 1T0
Pioneer Cemeteries of Essa Township
Transcribed by Norma Hammond, Arnott Wilson & Helen Wanless, Ed: Ken Reese
Barrie, Ontario: Simcoe County Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society, 2000. Publications
In 1859, John Nicol deeded property for a cemetery next to Nicol’s Mill Presbyterian Church. This was later known as Carluke Presbyterian, Nicolston Presbyterian, and after 1925, Nicolston United. The church was closed in 1957. The cemetery was restored in 1972. A few stones remain standing, but most have been gathered into two rows and set on concrete bases.
Based on information:
Prepared by Louise Gallaugher for a local history project, which is on file at the Alliston Memorial Branch of the New Tecumseth Library.