Rugby Congrgational, Rugby Methodist, Rugby United
1933 Old Barrie Road East , Oro-Medonte
70 m west of Line 12 North, south side
Oro Con 12 Lot 11
Township of Oro-Medonte
148 Line 7 South,
Oro, Ontario L0L 2X0
Rugby Congregational Church Cemetery;
Barrie, Ontario: Simcoe County Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society, 2006. Publications
“ Rugby Cemetery” Monumental Transcriptions Vol 1, Central North Simcoe County;
Extracted, edited and indexed by Eldon D. Weber
Toronto, Ontario: Ontario Genealogical Society, 1977.
In 1847, some local pioneers who had been holding services in the old log school were ministered to by Rev. Ari Raymond from the Congregational Church at Edgar. Through his efforts, a second Congregational Church was built at Rugby. Mr. Raymond did most of the building, including the pulpit. He also taught school at Rugby at this time. In 1923, the church joined the Methodist Field at Hawkestone and then became part of the United Church of Canada in 1925. The church was removed in 1949. The earliest death transcribed was in 1831, most recent in 1928, however, according to Monumental Transcriptions, the last burial was in 1936. At least 5 bodies have been relocated to Orillia.
Based on information from: The Story of Oro, Second Edition, The Township of Oro, 1987. Monumental Transcriptions Vol 1, Central North Simcoe County, Ontario genealogical Society, 1977