190 m south of Horeshoe Valley Road West, east side
Oro Con 1 EPR Lot 40
St. John’s Anglican Church
Line 1 North, RR#1
Barrie, Ontario L4M 4Y8
St. John’s Anglican Cemetery, Craighurst;
Barrie, Ontario: Simcoe County Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society, 2006. Publications
“Craighurst Anglican” Monumental Transcriptions Vol 1, Central North Simcoe County;
Extracted, edited and indexed by Eldon D. Weber
Toronto, Ontario: Ontario Genealogical Society, 1977.
Thomas Craig settled in Medonte about 1819. Services and baptisms were carried out at the Craig home from about 1833. In 1846, his son John donated land for the erection of an Anglican Church and burial ground on Lot 40 in Oro. The first church was built in the early 1850’s. The present brick church was built in 1884. The wardens were proud to state that all debt was clear before the first services were held. Bricks left over were given to the Methodists to use in their church in the village. The cemetery is very well maintained. The earliest death dates recorded were those of Elizabeth Craig (died 16 Jan 1839) and Thomas Craig (died April 10, 1840), about 10 years before the church was built.
Based on information from: Medonte, A Township Remembered, The Township of Oro-Medonte, 2003. The Story of Oro, Second Edition, The Township of Oro, 1987.