Anglican Synod of Toronto
1816 Sideroad 15/16,
RR#1 Hawkestone, Ontario L0L 1T0
St. Mark’s Anglican East Oro Cemetery;
Barrie, Ontario: Simcoe County Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society, 2006. Publications
“East Oro, St. Mark’s Anglican” Monumental Transcriptions Vol 1, Central North Simcoe County;
Extracted, edited and indexed by Eldon D. Weber
Toronto, Ontario: Ontario Genealogical Society, 1977.
St. Mark’s Anglican Church was built about 1842. The original structure was replaced by a brick church in 1880 which was eventually remodeled. In 1985, the building was considered unsafe and had to be condemned. A deconsecration ceremony was held the following year and the church was closed. The stain glass windows, pews and other items of historical or ecclesiastical nature were placed in other churches and the building demolished in 1987. The cemetery was located adjacent to the north side of the church. Based on the most recent transcription, the oldest stone is that of Margaret, wife of ??? Lee, who died in 1836, some 6 years before the church was built. Otherwise, the stones are dated from the 1850’s to present.
Based on information from: The Story of Oro, Second Edition, The Township of Oro, 1987.